Saturday, March 6, 2010

Cats & Corgis

Back on November 3, Rogue turned 6 years old.  I can still hardly believe this fuzzball has been in my life for 6 years – why, 6 years means 4,380 feedings, at least 7,000 walks, upwards of 10,000 treats, at least $2,000 of vet bills, and I don’t even want to estimate the grooming bills!

011But one constant over the 6 years has been the on-going dog/cat war in my house.  When I first brought Rogue home, Sophie growled and hissed, but I thought that within a few months, they’d be curled up together like best buddies.  Oh, was I wrong!  First, you need to understand that Sophie was a stray kitten found on the streets of Newark, NJ – in other words, she’s a tough little kitty.  And a bit psychotic.  Ok, well, more than psychotic…she is so insistent on being the center of attention that to this day (and I’ve had her 10 years) she will fling herself at a closed door just to get into the room I’m in. 

But I digress from the main point, which is that the combination of a psychotic cat who has a severe attachment disorder with a playful corgi who’s insistent on trying to herd said psychotic cat can make for one frazzled cat & corgi mom!  Rogue will try to move in on Sophie for the herd, little nub wagging away, and Sophie will commence the growling.  When Rogue crosses the invisible line, Sophie lets out a hiss and a swipe, and streaks toward some other part of the house.  Rogue, now thinking this is a game of “catch me if you can!”, takes off after Sophie (butt still wagging, which is hilarious looking if it happens to be poked out from underneath the bed!).  This is the point where the barking starts…

…and so my daily routine for the past 6 years has also included upwards of 5,000 exclamations of “Rogue!  Sophie!  Stop the fighting!!!” 

006


See…this is not a cat you want to mess with!

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHA! Im so glad you posted this. I have the same problem in my house, except with 3 VERY spoiled kitties and one corgi that thinks they are chew toys. The 2 little girl cats hiss and swat as well then take off in the "catch me if you can race". The boy kitty is the problem. my corgi, Whiskey, will go after him with avengace, but more nose his and growl, no bitting. So far the house has been living harmoniously.

    ReplyDelete